Friday, February 3, 2012

BAMF Barleywine

The 2011 brew year was an amazing year. I made some of the best beers last year. Also, I made my dream brew stand. A few of the beers really stuck out to me last year, my Rye Pale Ale, Eric's Berries and Lisa's Peach. However, one of my favorite beers of last year was the BAMF Barleywine. This beer blew my mind, dare I say it was my favorite? I love a big well balanced complex barleywine. Bigfoot comes to mind along with Mirror Mirror and Hog Heaven. These beers when fresh have a great hop flavor and aroma with a fantastic carmel malt backbone. These beers are big and beautifully complex, especially when aged.

My goals for this beer were to improve my efficiency on my system, use some new hop varieties, make a really big beer and make a delicious barleywine. The couple of special techniques used in this was supplementing the gravity with extract and re-pitching on-top of a yeast cake. As from the recipe, there is a variety of malts in the beer, I am big fan of using Marris Otter as a base malt for a lot of my beers. It adds such a great flavor. I also used a few different crystal malts to layer flavors and I added some aromatic malt to emphasize the malt flavor in the beer. There is also a a little bit of black patent to add some color.

The hops I wanted to use were some really big citusy hops. I used a lot of citra and summit. I was worried that these resinous hops would really clash with the big malt backbone of this beer. There are a lot of DIPAs out there that are heavy on the malt and it really clashes with the hops. However, it was a risk that was well worth it. When this beer was fresh, it was an awesome DIPA. I tried this beer a year later and it evolved into one of the best barleywines I've tasted.

Needless to say I was excited to brew this one again....



Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil:8.00 US galsWort Volume After Boil:6.50 US gals
Volume Transferred:5.50 US galsWater Added To Fermenter:0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching:5.50 US galsVolume Of Finished Beer:5.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity:1.061 SGExpected OG:1.121 SG
Expected FG:1.026 SGApparent Attenuation:76.5 %
Expected ABV:12.9 %Expected ABW:10.0 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth):104.6 IBUExpected Color (using Morey):19.7 SRM
BU:GU ratio:0.87Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency:70.0 %
Boil Duration:90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature:64 degF

Fermentables
IngredientAmount%MCUWhen
Maris Otter Malt15.00 lb53.4 %0.0In Mash/Steeped
US Aromatic Malt1.50 lb5.3 %4.6In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 35L Malt1.00 lb3.6 %5.4In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 60L Malt1.00 lb3.6 %9.2In Mash/Steeped
US Victory Malt1.00 lb3.6 %4.3In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 120L Malt0.50 lb1.8 %9.2In Mash/Steeped
US Chocolate Malt0.10 lb0.4 %5.4In Mash/Steeped
Extract - Golden Light Liquid Extract8.00 lb28.5 %4.9Start Of Boil

Hops
VarietyAlphaAmountIBUFormWhen
US Magnum16.0 %2.00 oz60.8Loose Pellet Hops60 Min From End
Citra10.0 %1.30 oz19.0Loose Pellet Hops30 Min From End
US Summit18.0 %2.00 oz24.8Loose Pellet Hops10 Min From End
US Centennial8.5 %1.00 oz0.0Loose Pellet HopsAt turn off
Citra10.0 %1.30 oz0.0Loose Pellet HopsDry-Hopped
US Centennial8.5 %1.00 oz0.0Loose Pellet HopsDry-Hopped

Other Ingredients
IngredientAmountWhen

Yeast
White Labs WLP001-California Ale
Water Profile
Target Profile:No Water Profile Chosen
Mash pH:5.2
pH Adjusted with:Unadjusted

Total Calcium (ppm):51Total Magnesium (ppm):8
Total Sodium (ppm):29Total Sulfate (ppm):38
Total Chloride(ppm):18Total Bicarbonate (ppm):0

Mash Schedule
Mash Type:Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (66C/151F)

Step TypeTemperatureDuration
Rest at151 degF60



No comments:

Post a Comment