Monday, February 27, 2012

Insatiable Ale

My favorite beer of last year was my Insatiable Ale. This beer is just so good, I had people who don't even like beer, who couldn't put this beer down. This beer would just disappear from my keg-o-rator. My inspiration for this beer was Nelson from Alpine Beer Co. Nelson is my favorite IPA, it is such a different and interesting beer. Nelson is a rye IPA with nelson sauvin hops. I wanted to bring it down a notch and make a sessionable pale ale with a west coast flare. The nelson sauvin hops have such an amazing flavor, it has this berry flavor. Some describe it as grape-like or gooseberries, I wouldn't totally agree. I do see however, the relationship to a white wine grape. I have had a couple of other nelson sauvin and rye beers and they are always awesome. Something about the rye and nelson are just the perfect combo.

My goals for this beer is to make a sessionable west coast pale ale that really highlight the nelson sauvin hops. If you have read other posts on this blog, you know I love Marris Otter malt and know why I chose this as my base malt, there is also a little bit of speciality malt and 15% rye. To show off this awesome hop I used mostly nelson sauvin, but I never like using just one hop. I like to layer hops and I blend hops with similar profiles to achieve the profile that I want. Also with this hoppy beer, I hopped on the back and front ends of the boil. I like to mostly use warrior hops for bittering because it's bitterness profile is strong but smooth and doesn't linger. I wanted it a little bit rougher, so I added a bit of chinook to the mash to give it a bit of a bite.

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil:8.00 US galsWort Volume After Boil:6.50 US gals
Volume Transferred:5.50 US galsWater Added To Fermenter:0.00 US gals
Volume At Pitching:5.50 US galsVolume Of Finished Beer:5.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity:1.043 SGExpected OG:1.053 SG
Expected FG:1.012 SGApparent Attenuation:76.4 %
Expected ABV:5.5 %Expected ABW:4.3 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth):38.1 IBUExpected Color (using Morey):6.2 SRM
BU:GU ratio:0.71Approx Color:
Mash Efficiency:70.0 %
Boil Duration:90.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature:64 degF

Fermentables
IngredientAmount%MCUWhen
UK Pale Ale Malt11.00 lb81.5 %5.1In Mash/Steeped
US Rye Malt2.00 lb14.8 %1.1In Mash/Steeped
US Victory Malt0.25 lb1.9 %1.1In Mash/Steeped
US Aromatic Malt0.25 lb1.9 %0.7In Mash/Steeped

Hops
VarietyAlphaAmountIBUFormWhen
US Chinook10.5 %0.50 oz12.2Loose Pellet HopsIn Mash
US Warrior15.5 %0.25 oz12.9Loose Pellet HopsFirst Wort Hopped
NZ Nelson Sauvin12.5 %0.50 oz7.0Loose Pellet Hops10 Min From End
US Centennial8.5 %0.25 oz2.4Loose Pellet Hops10 Min From End
US Simcoe13.0 %0.25 oz3.7Loose Pellet Hops10 Min From End
US Simcoe13.0 %0.50 oz0.0Loose Pellet HopsAt turn off
US Centennial8.5 %0.50 oz0.0Loose Pellet HopsAt turn off
NZ Nelson Sauvin12.5 %0.50 oz0.0Loose Pellet HopsAt turn off
NZ Nelson Sauvin12.5 %1.00 oz0.0Loose Pellet HopsDry-Hopped
US Centennial8.5 %0.50 oz0.0Loose Pellet HopsDry-Hopped
US Simcoe13.0 %0.50 oz0.0Loose Pellet HopsDry-Hopped

Yeast
White Labs WLP001-California Ale

Water Profile
Target Profile:No Water Profile Chosen
Mash pH:5.2
pH Adjusted with:Unadjusted

Total Calcium (ppm):51Total Magnesium (ppm):9
Total Sodium (ppm):30Total Sulfate (ppm):36
Total Chloride(ppm):17Total Bicarbonate (ppm):153

Mash Schedule
Mash Type:Full Mash
Schedule Name:Single Step Infusion (66C/151F)

Step TypeTemperatureDuration
Rest at151 degF60

No comments:

Post a Comment